AFK from WoW - Eclipse 2012 Day 6 - A kids day out

We were going to go to the Atherton tablelands today and do more sightseeing and birding, but hubby forgot his binoculars!  So we decided to move Saturday's timetable to Friday, which was to do kid friendly things.

We started off in the morning heading towards Cairns for the Kuranda Scenic Railway ride, but the kids were getting restless so we took a detour via Cattana Wetlands, just to let them stretch their legs.  And I nabbed me a rare!

Royal Spoonbill

It was damn hot so I was hoping to get out of there as soon as possible, and we headed off the the Scenic Railway to find that it leaves at 2 times, both before we got there!  So we changed plans and drove up to Kuranda and I caught the train down with the kids after we had a look at the Butterfly House.



Then onto the train!


It took almost 2 hours for a full journey, with one stop in between.  The kids seemed to really enjoy that, and also weren't scared of the tunnels.  Hubby picked us up at Cairns and then we headed to the Esplanade so the kids could play in the water for a bit.


My son was popular with Japanese tourists.  They all seemed to stop and look at him and take pictures of him playing with the small fountains in the shallow end of the Esplanade.  Hubby went out to help me with some pet battling.


Then we had Japanese sushi train style for dinner.  It was one of the only times this holiday they weren't being forcefed their food, or gorging themselves on potato chips.  I was happy because they were eating fish, vegies (seaweed, edamame and cucumber) as well as rice, and eating with gusto.  They fell asleep on the way home, obviously enjoying their kids day out.




Comments

  1. Please don't take this in any negative way.. I am more curious than anything in regards to my children.

    Do you ever worry about your children eating sushi? I assume they were eating sushi on the train with you and not some cooked fish? I always get a little concerned when I see kids eating raw fish... I am not sure if that is just some weird thing with me or if there are any concerns since they are younger than adults.

    Anyway I was just curious more for my own information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey SirFWALGMan, no offence taken at all! The sushi just goes around on a conveyer belt (hence why it's called Sushi train coz it looks like a train of sushi) and the raw fish is called sashimi.

      A lot of people have concerns about kids eating raw fish. My feeling is, if I can eat it, and my kids can eat solids, then they can eat it. I don't think that raw fish is any riskier than any other fast food, if the restaurant is clean, the fish is fresh and not dodgy. My husband has had salmonella food poisoning from eating vietnamese rolls (it was in the butter). If you don't eat the sashimi, then don't let your kids eat it, I think is a good rule. As in, if you're worried, then don't do it. Safety wise, though, it's no more dangerous than KFC in terms of food poisoning.

      Delete
    2. Oh I forgot about mercury poisoning! The kids don't eat large amounts of tuna so I don't worry too much about it. And we wouldn't have sushi more than once a week at most so you'd worry about that if they were eating fish 5 times a week, I think.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like it was a wonderful trip and I've enjoyed all the photos! Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you enjoyed your holiday navi -Rosh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I hope these comments work! Not sure why people can't comment lately, it makes me sad :(