That's Baller, Nav

Mataoka got me thinking about the language differences between English speaking countries and how it can be really interesting.  For example, my American readers and friends find my comment "Stuff it up" an amusing term.  And those UK people seem to say "Oh that's rubbish/grand" a lot instead of the more Australian term "Oh that's crap/awesome".  And a typical example of an Americanism that I didn't understand was this term baller.

I have a bad habit of spending large amounts of money (or gold) when I'm feeling a litle despondent about something in the game.  I used to buy pets off the AH for silly amounts of gold if I was feeling blah.  Now there aren't many pets I don't have, so that option has dried up, and the cost of things these days is so high I can't afford to buy anything - especially with high rollers like Zug buying Ashes of Al'ar for 999,999 gold.  So I started having to buy TCG items.

It started off with just the Dragon Kite.

Then I saw the Amani Dragonhawk for a nice price so I got that.  It has pink in it and I like pink things.  I'll have to make an outfit for it.

I was really upset about minfernals one day that I went and consoled myself with... a Spectral Tiger mount.  I actually kept it secret for a while because I didn't want everyone telling me how crazy I was.  And when one day Roshii was linking his cool faction mount and saying how cool it was, I decided to be cheeky and link my Spectral Tiger mount.  He didn't believe I had one at first, but then he was shocked.  To be honest, I like the mount a LOT but I don't love it. because the model is not that unique, I think.  It's a night elf mount but a spectral version.  I really like unique looking models.


I told this to Arvash and he yelled at me saying Baller.  Now I had no idea what that meant.  I mean, when people yell balls that usually means something like Bulls**t or something.  Or maybe he was saying I was pretty gutsy and had balls.  So I didn't tell him at first I had no idea what he meant, and I went to look it up on urban dictionary.
A thug that has "made it" to the big time. Originally referred to ball players that made it out of the streets to make millions as a pro ball player, but now is used to describe any thug that is living large.
What!  He's saying I'm a thug with dough???  So I asked him and he said that he meant that I was loaded and you can tell by the stuff I own.  Hey, well all that money I save buying my kids clothes second hand on ebay and not having designer clothes and cars like other doctors means I have more to spend on my WoW obsession!

I don't remember what grouchy mood I was in that triggered me to buy my next 2 items, but they came as a package deal, so I have a rocket chicken and the wooly rhino mount which I have been eyeing for ages.



But for my birthday and Christmas this year I went ALL out and spent really big on an item I didn't even THINK was possible to get....



I have my own guardian Angel!
 

Isn't it gorgeous?  OMG I love it.  I can't wait to level that baby to 25!  Such a fantastic model!  I never thought you could actually get one because it was a 2008 World Wide invitational (WWI) card and everyone would have used theirs or sold it already.  Here is Arv, he really wanted to see Mini Tyrael.  I threw a Hummel's Pet biscuit on Tyrael so he would look big and cool.


And how funny is this!  He dances when you dance with him!  That's pretty cool!  His abilities are all typical humanoid - strong against dragonkin.  Hmm, might not be so wonderful a pet as I thought but I think he's going to be out as my vanity pet a lot now!

I have a few more up my sleeve for the next time I think I deserve a nice treat (/cough spectral cub) but these are the gems of my vanity collection.

Comments

  1. So cool nav, you really should flaunt them!
    don't be afraid of what people are going to say, just enjoy your vanity items, you deserve it.

    -Rosh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stop looking at Tyrael so he may be out for a while.

      Delete
  2. I had to look that term up too! It's funny what's the ultimate best thing to each of us, Mini Tyrael is way up at the top for me but I think if I ever bought something it would be El Pollo Grande. I guess I have a thing for riding big birds! Navi looks good on that Spectral Tiger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see you on a big chicken. That is pretty awesome!

      Delete
  3. LOL you're too funny Navi.

    Grats on your awesome new toys though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grats on you new mounts and pets, especially that Tyrael, he looks freakin' awesome! Tyrael needs to come with a title when learned..."Navimie the Baller". =P

    I is so jealous, I need to work where you work, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Navi, I gotta be honest, I have never heard a single American use the term "baller" before - not in any age group. But I did hear "ratchet," and "swerve" the other day, and they made a lot of sense.

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ratchet

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=swerve

    As far as your guardian angel goes: make him work for his money! You earned this - it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I looked at Ratchet and really thought goblin town, fully expecting to see that there on Urban Dictionary...
      Kallixta told me today he had never heard of baller either so maybe he's right - it's some sort of word used by people who follow lots of sports.

      Delete
  6. OMG, grats on all your fun new toys! Mini Tyrael = sooooo awesome! ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Euphy :) I do love my Mini Tyrael - I can't even rename him yet he's so gorgeous.

      Delete
  7. Wow. Just Wow...

    That's an amazing collection Navi. Just the Spectral Tiger alone is impressive. Can't believe that's not even the gem of your collection.

    Very cool!

    My 2 yen,

    Akiosama

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I hope these comments work! Not sure why people can't comment lately, it makes me sad :(