Breaking the first rule of Brawler's guild

Psst. It's Navimie here.  I'm here undercover posing as a DPS'er to make this report about this underground group called "Brawler's Guild".


I first heard about this secret fight club when some of my guildies were talking about it.  They were buying their way into it via blood-soaked invitations sold on the Black Market Auction house, run by that ringleader of organised crime, Madam Goya. That house of ill repute is tucked away out of the the general travel route, on the Veiled Stair.

I wasn't keen to pay money to buy one - I knew prices would drop eventually.  And you can get them from other sources - by killing the rare spawn Alliance captains around Lion's Landing.  I did that a few weeks ago, and gave Ayelena the invitation.  He went in and I followed him to see what all the fuss and fun was about.


Ayelena started out with some fights and I cheered her as she won.  She made it look easy without breaking a sweat.  Even Roshii came to watch.


Then good ol' Falln got to rank 7 and sent me an invite!  I was waiting for Lushnek so we could do it together and the other week I finally stepped in and handed in my invitation.

Rank 1 was easy, even for a non DPSer!


I wondered how to do this achievement.  I didn't know what an angry spectator looked like - until one started attacking me.


At the moment I'm only just into Rank 2.  So haven't got  much to tell except that healing and tanking isn't going to cut it in a real DPS club like this!

Rank 1
Bruce
hit and run through him to get out of bad frontal attack.  Was nice and easy.
Vian the Volatile
avoid the fire lines and avoid his fire balls hanging in mid air.  I found it a little tricky as a noob melee.
Goredome
charges at a red marker (like a bull!) easy to avoid, and was a pleasant fight.
Dungeon Master Vishas
run away from heated pokers!

Rank 2
Dippy
Don't push him up against the wall!  That peck is a killer!

That's all I've gotten up to in there so far.  My impression?  That the first few levels are accessible, but I'm worried I can't get to rank 4.  And you know what, nobody is really looking at what the people in the arena are doing.  So you can sneak in there and just hit stuff and not worry about jeering and nasty mentally delayed jokes.

I noticed that there is an NPC named Dirk Roughly which is a play on Dirk Gently, the fictional detective created by Douglas Adams.  There's also another NPC named Robert Paulson, after the character in Fight Club (played by Meatloaf) of a very similar name (Robert "Bob" Paulson).

Wish me luck!  Here's the list I have to get through...

Fran and Riddoh

Rank 3

Rank 4

Rank 5
Leper Gnome Quintet (one is Greazy)

Rank 6

Rank 7

Comments

  1. Have fun! Just make sure you don't afk while waiting in line. It doesn't really end well XD. I've found that there's usually quite a crowd watching fights and grouping together to share buffs. And I get laughed at because I lost to Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That would have been a shock to come back to!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, have fun! I snagged my invite off the Alliance rares a couple days ago and have been having a blast. The atmosphere is pretty amazing: so far all the chatter I've witnessed/been part of has been encouragement and strategy, between players of all brawler ranks.

    That penguin, though. Most unexpected one-shot I've ever experienced. PECKDOOM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I am dying to that peckdoom a LOT!

      Delete
    2. Keep bouncing the penguin! I got him by strafing around him in circles (or, well, the wibbly-wobbly-omgpenguin take on a circle) and smacking him whenever he got close. Between the constant movement and the fact that damage knocks him back, that kept the pecks at bay!

      It was still a shriekier experience than fighting a massive devilsaur later on, though. What a penguin.

      Delete
  3. Oh! Good luck, I'll be cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grats and good luck with the rest. I'm tempted to have a go but really don't like shadow and whilst my Holy dps is pretty good I'm not 100 percent sure it would cut it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melee is my least favourite form of DPS, so I wish I was boomkinning it but I can't be bothered respeccing! I am looking pretty foolish atm though :P

      Delete
  5. Ooooo fun fun! I'm loving brawlers guild so far. One word of advise I have for ya is when you get to the Leper Gnome Quintet - they're gonna want hugs. Whatever you do - Don't hug them back!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how far I can go.... I'm pretty hopeless as a nonDpser! I'll try not to hug them! Not even bearhug?

      Delete
  6. Good luck! I will come along to watch some time and cheer and maybe rally people to throw rotten fruit at you?!

    I did encounter some people who seemed to be there specifically to heckle others, like it isn't scary enough in there! Mostly it was a very fun atmosphere. I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I should go and help others there with their achievement! Maybe I'll just do some random ones and see how many people I can "hate" LOL!

      Delete
  7. You will be an A grade dps by the time you hit rank 4 and get your pet, then you wont be able to stop and will want to go all the way. Its lots of fun Navi.Rank 7 is very poo and it took me about 2 week to get to rank 8, i think you need about 80k+ dps to get through it. I only need 1 rank 8 boss so i can get my "Brawler Fallnapart" title and then ill be happy. Good luck with it Nav and come buff me some time, i need it ><

    Falln

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunno about that Falln, but thanks to you I have the opportunity to try! Now I have to think of something cool for you in return for all the awesome things you've done for me :) And I will come buff you next time!

      Delete
  8. Good luck with the rest of your matches. Thx to you I finally tried them out today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you did! Look forward to reading about it.

      Delete
  9. Knowing that there is a pet to be earned at the end (or middle, lol) of the Brawler's Guild road, you be defintely motivated to push to rank 4. Good luck on getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you've finally given it a try. It is a bit of fun. Sadly, I can't get past the 2nd boss, in rank 2, that has the twisters. They ALWAYS seem to appear right under me and I can't get away from them fast enough. :o(

    Thankfully, I have done the fights on my hunter. I never had to worry about "peckdoom". Even though hunter pet's can't hold aggro for crap in there, I was at least able to kite that penguin around and keep his little beak away from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm up to that cyclone one now. I haven't had a good go at it yet but I've died to it once!

      Delete
    2. I finally beat Kirrawk (twister boss)...after probably 20-some tries. Yes, it really did take me that long. RNG really hates me sometimes because no matter where I would stand, or move to, those twisters would bounce off Kirrawk and hit me instead. Or they would spawn right under my feet not giving me a chance to get away from them.

      I'm now on Fran and Riddoh (goblin on oaf's shoulders) and have only fought them a few times. I keep dying to the wall of fire.

      Delete
    3. I hope I'll get up to that one day!

      Delete
  11. Looks fun and exciting and a bit scary cause people are watching :P Haven't tried it yet, just got my invite a few days ago from the rare mobs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it looks like great caster fun! I bet you'll love it Syrco :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I hope these comments work! Not sure why people can't comment lately, it makes me sad :(